Thunderton House, Thunderton Place, Elgin:- "Formerly the great lodging of Scots medieval Kings. re-built by Alexander, 1st Lord Duffus c1650. Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed here in 1746, prior to Culloden."
Burtons High Street, Elgin:- Two commemorative stones. (1) On the left whilst facing the entrance reads, "This stone was laid by Stanley Howard Burton 1936." The other on the right reads, "This stone laid by Raymond Montague Burton 1936." Building date stone on top is 1888, with the letters J over E.
The Fountain On The High Street, Elgin:- Originally built in 1846 of ashlar stone it stands three tiers high. Decorated with lilies and lotus leaves, it is category 'B' listed, and was designed by Thomas MacKenzie. Plaque (1) on the west side reads: "This fountain was renovated in memory of Elgin Business man John David Ham 1937-1999." Plaque (2) on the east side reads: "The Elgin fountain, recommissioned in golden jubilee year in the presence of HRH the Princess Royal 27th May 2002." (A working fountain again)
Old Mills, Old Mills Road, Elgin:- (privately owned) reads, "Old Mills, formerly known as the Kings Mills, and in royal hands until 1230. The oldest mill on the Lossie was then granted to the priory of Pluscarden by Alexander 11."
Highfield House, South Street, Elgin:- No plaque, but it was built c1820 as a town house by Sir Archibald Dunbar. Completely renovated inside because of dry rot, the interior is now of steel frame and bricks. The outside is original on the south side, but a Doctors surgery has been added on the north.
The West End Fountain, High Street, Elgin:- "The west end fountain erected in 1892 by Elgin amenities association. Refurbished, and relocated in 1997."
Biblical Garden, King Street, Elgin:- (Open, May - September) next to the Cathedral, King Street, Elgin. Opened summer 1996. Text on the stone slab bible as you enter. Left page = Genesis 1:11. Right page = Isaiah 40:6-8. On three of the five pillars as you enter the gate are represented 'The Woman of Samaria,' 'Samson,' and 'the Prodigal Son.' The other to are 'Welcome to the Biblical Garden,' and 'The Peoples Garden,' how it came about. Small plaques around the garden include bible text such as Solomon 2:12, Galatians 3:26, St. John 4:14-15, St. Luke 15:18-20, Genesis 9:11-13, Genesis 8:10-11, Matthew 6:28-29, Deuteronomy 8:7-8, Proverbs 3:4-5. The resurrection is represented on a pillar in the garden. On the third day......., Etc. Matthew 27:59-, - 28:6.
Johnstons Mills, Newmill Road, Elgin:- "In the words of Charles Johnston. "This building was erected in 1865 as - On the ground floor, a reading room for work people, a sales room and office. On 2nd floor one room for wool, and another for goods, and on 3rd floor a wool store.""
The Tower, 103 High Street, Elgin:- "Erected in 1634, and remodelled in 1859 this three stage tower, constructed in stone rubble, is the only surviving portion of the house built by Andrew Leslie of Glen of Rothes, Merchant, and Magistrate of Elgin. A datestone and pediment bear the arms of Leslie of Abernethy, initials A L and J B for Andrew Leslie and Jean Bonyman, his wife."
Braco's Banking House, High Street, Elgin. Opposite Safeway:- "From 1703 to 1722 this building was the Banking House of William Duff of Dipple and Braco, ancestor of the Earls of Fife." A stone on the top of Braco's Banking House (Over A Window) is dated 1694. With the letters I D underneath. Over the other window is a five point star, and the letters M I.
Bishop's House, King Street, Elgin (Beside The
Cathedral):- "This building bears the date 1557 and the arms of Bishop
Patrick Hepburn, (1535-73) and Robert Reid, Abbot of Kinloss and Bishop of
Orkney. It is traditionally believed to have been the town house of the Bishops
of Moray, but was probably the Precentor's Manse. Each of the Clergy serving the
Cathedral had such a Manse within the precinct.
The plan of the house is irregular. The north wing may be an addition. The main block had a vaulted kitchen, and cellar on the ground floor, a hall on the first floor, and private accomodation above."
Lady Hill Monument, Elgin:- "Erected in 1839 the 80 ft. high Tuscan column carries a 12 ft. high statue of George, 5th, and last Duke of Gordon, a renowned agriculturist and soldier." On the South face of the actual monument, and above the door, a plaque reads: "This column is dedicated to the memory of George the last Duke of Gordon. The patron and generous promoter of agriculture, a gallant and distinguished Soldier, a warm and Zealous friend, and a Nobleman deservedly popular with all ranks of society. This column was built by public subscription in 1839 and embellished by the erection of the statue in 1855 in terms of a bequest by Alexander Craig, Esquire, of Craigton, assisted chiefly by members of the Morayshire Farmer Club."
Elgin Castle, Ladyhill, Elgin:- "The ruins of a castle approx. 240 ft. X 50 ft., once a strong hold of the early Scottish Kings was mentioned in the charter of Malcolm 1V, 1160."
Descriptions Of Sculpture, Two Bronze Panels, And Mosaic,
Elgin High Street:- Bronze and Sculpture. High Street, Elgin, Morayshire,
Scotland. Bronze and Hopetoun sandstone. An interpretive work positioned on the
site of the Tolbooth or Townhouse, Court and Jail. Each bronze panel depicts
aspects of the towns development. The Church and Elgin Cathedral, the Tolbooth,
and it's functions, the trade and industry of the town, the architectural
development of the High Street, Spynie Palace, Birnie Kirk, Pluscarden Abbey,
Council Chamber, Ladyhill Castle, Royal Burgh of Elgin 1136, SIC.ITUR.AD.ASTRA,
Etc. The bronze panel is surmounted by a crown representing the many royal
connections with Elgin. The bronze work is supported by the statue, which has
four beasts. two wild, (The Stag and the Salmon) two domestic. (The Bull and the
Mosaic, by Allan Potter. "'Heart of Moray.' Agriculture, fishing industry, wild life, art, history and culture, a Fisherman, a Farmer, a Salmon, Cod, Coalfish, Plaice, Red Gurnard, and the Highlands are all represented. The mosaic measures 2 X 4 Meters."
Muckle Cross, High Street, Elgin:- "Ye Muckle X of Elgin built about 1650 - destroyed about 1792. Rebuilt and presented to his native city by William MacAndrew of Westwood House, Little Horkesley, Essex, 1888 James Black, Lord Provost." Opposite side (East) is a Saint with the words above him, 'Sicitur Atastra'.
Battalion Headquarters, 51st Highland Volunteers, Now
Part Of Elgin's New Library, Cooper Park, Elgin:- "Cuidich'n Righ.
1914-1919. Erected by the Seaforth Highlanders to the undying memory of 8432
comrades belonging to the ten Battalions of the regiment who gave their lives
for their country in the great war. 'Scotland Forever' "
"This plaque is placed here to commemorate the presentation of colours to the 2nd Battalion 51st Highland Volunteers by his Royal Highness, the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on the Cooper Park, Elgin, on Thursday, 26th June, 1986." The hall was erected for the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.
Old Public Well, Plaque On Safeway Wall, High Street, Elgin:- "One lies under the road 20ft. from here. Approximately 25ft. deep, 6 ft. wide, and with 8 ft. depth of water. It was filled up in March 1956."
Pans Port, Pansport Road, Elgin:- "Pans Port was one of the early 16th century gates in the boundary wall around the Cathedral precinct, with a portcullis in front of it's great wooden doors. Arch and portcullis slot survive; the parapet and dummy slits belong to a 19th century repair."
Elgin Cathedral Precinct Wall, Pansport Place. Elgin:- "Elgin Cathedral precinct wall. This fragment of walling represents part of the medieval precinct wall that formerly enclosed Elgin Cathedral and it's associated buildings and manses. The wall originally extended for roughly 1km in a broad arch, with the river Lossie forming the boundary on the east. This monument is cared for by Historic Scotland on behalf of the Secretary of State for Scotland."
Order Stone, East Road, Elgin:- Plaque beside the stone reads (Same). "Inscription on the Order Pot stone." "1890. This stone was erected by the town council of Elgin to mark the site of the Order Pot, a circular pond about 70 ft. in diameter used of old for trial by ordeal. Though popularly believed to be bottomless, it was filled up in 1881, thus falcifying, it is hoped, an ancient prophecy, 'The Order Pot and Lossie grey shall sweep the Chanry Kirk away.' The original site of the Order (Ordeal) Pot Pool lies some 130 ft. north of this site."
Forres Market Cross, High Street, Forres:- "Erected by public subscription in 1844 to a design by Thomas MacKenzie, Architect, Edinburgh. Bearing a strong similarity to the Scott Memorial, Princess Street, Edinburgh, the structure incorporates the base of an earlier cross of seventeenth century origin. Nearby to the east is located the site of an old town well. Known to have existed from 1695 until 1855."
Witches Stone, Opposite The Ramnee Hotel, Victoria Road, Forres:- "Witches Stone. From Cluny Hill Witches were rolled in stout barrels through which spikes were driven. Where the barrels stopped, they were burned with their mangled contents. This stone marks the site of one such burning."
Forres Wishing Well, Corner Of Grant Park, Forres:- "Sited within bounds of former Forres House, Stables and Gardens. In use from around 1700 until 1825 when towns water supply was introduced. Restored 1976 - Rotary Club"
Nelson's Tower, Top Of Cluny Hill, Forres:- Facing
west. Top Stone. "Trafalger 21st October 1805."
Middle stone. "In memory of Ad'l. Lord Nelson."
Over the door. "Condita. Aerae Architect |DD|DCCCVI. D. Sinclair, Inspectore. C. Stewart, Architecto. A. Smith, Opifice."
Plaque added above the door reads:- "Nelson's Tower. This monument was erected in 1806 in celebration of Lord Nelson and his victories. Four plaques commemorate the battle of the Nile 1798, Copenhagen 1801, Trafalgar 1805, and that the tower was built by public subscription (Architect Charles Stewart).
Built as a meeting place, view point and landscape centerpiece, this octagonal gothic structure contains three empty rooms. A spiral stair climbs 70 feet to the top offering a beautiful panoramic view over the Moray Firth."
Another smaller one reads:- "Reopened on 20th August 1991. by Cllr. Hilda Cumiskie, following restoration by Moray District Council in association with Historic Scotland."
There is also a memorial to the Forres men who died in the South African War inside.
It was unveiled by the Duke of Richmond and Gordon, Lord Lieutenant of Moray in 1905.
James Brodie of Brodie laid the foundation stone of Nelson's Tower on 26th August 1806.
The tower wasn't finished for six years. It opened on the 7th anniversary of Trafalgar. (21st October 1812) It is 21 metres high. (70 feet) 8 metres in diameter. (24 feet)
Horatio Viscount Nelson 1758 to 1805.
Sueno's Stone, Findhorn Road, Forres:- "The name invented in the 18th century has no bearing on it's origins. It was discovered in the 18th century buried in the ground. It has no inscription, but depicts among other things, a battle scene. Was it the vanquishing of the Pict's under Kenneth MacAlpin, mid 9th century? Or Pict's V Norsemen, mid 9th century? Or 966 when King Dubh was killed by people of Moray?"
Thomson Monument, End Of High Street, Forres:- "To
the memory of Assistant Surgeon James Thomson. Born at Cromarty on the 8th of
March 1823. He served with the 44th Regiment at Malta in 1850 when the Cholera
broke out and shortly proved fatal to all the surgeons of the Corps. Himself
alone excepted. The skill, fortitude, and humanity, displayed by him in
arresting the progress of that disease gained for him the praises of the
Commander in Chief.
He was present with the same regiment at the battle of the Alma in 1854, and a few days afterwards when the British were leaving the field he volunteered to remain behind with seven hundred desperately wounded Russians. Isolated from his country men and endangered by the vicinity of large bodies of Cossacks, ill supplied with food and exposed to the risk of pestilence he succeeded in restoring to health about four hundred of the enemy and embarking them for Odessa. He then died from the effects of excessive hardship and privation. This public monument is erected as a tribute of respect for the virtues of an Officer who's life was useful, and whose death was glorious."
Castle Bridge, Bridge Street, Forres:- Originally
erected 1823. Rebuilt 1908. Plaque on the bridge wall reads: "Donald Alexander
Smith, Lord Strathcona, and Mount Royal Pioneer, Statesman and Philanthropist.
Born in Forres on 6.8.1820 in the family home on a site close to this wall near
the banks of the Mosset. (Burn) He emigrated to Canada 1838, and became Governor
of the Hudson Bay Co. He died in Canada 21.1.1914. He was Co founder of the
Canadian Pacific Railway. Appointed to UK as High Commissioner for Canada 1896,
and received a Peerage the following year. He raised and equipped Lord
Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadian) for service during the South African war. He
donated money to the St. Laurence Church, Forres, and Leanchoil hospital."
Also on the North side: A shield with a figure of a Saint beneath a battlement holding a Bible in one hand and a Manger in the other, under the sun and the moon and the star(s), and with two plants. With the inscription: "Jehovah Du Mihi Deus Quid Deest."
Findhorn Bridge, On The A96, Just West Of Forres:-
One Plaque: "Moray & Nairn Joint County Council, 1938."
Two Plaques, The Same (One Each Side): "Findhorn Bridge erected A.D. 1938. Blyth & Blyth, M.M. Inst. C.E. Engineeers."
One Plaque: "General Contractors A.M. Carmichael Ltd. Steelwork Contractors T & W MacLellan Ltd. Glasgow.
Cairn, Just East Of Findhorn Bridge, Forres, representing
the tail of a Whitley Bomber:- Badge on East and West side reads: "Bomber
Command, Royal Air Force. 'Strike hard. Strike sure'."
On the East: "19 OTU Forres."
On the West Side: "19 OTU Forres. The Royal Air Force Satallite at Forres was constructed at Balnageith in 1940. The Whitley's of No. 19 Operational Training Unit R.A.F. Kinloss used this site until 1944, and during that period trained thousands of Air Crew for bomber command.
This Cairn was erected in memory of Air Men and Air Women who served here and especially those who gave their lives while flying from Forres.
The Cairn also commemorates the presence of the Polish Army Forces who were billeted on this site between 1945 and 1947.
"We were but warriors of the working day."
Complete with a very small picture of a MkV Whitley Bomber.
Drinking Fountain, North High Street, Buckie:- "This fountain is the legacy of Charles Davidson, 1848-1919, for many years a respected Councillor, and Magistrate of this Burgh."
Rev. Shanks Plaque, North High Street, Buckie:- "In Memory of Rev. Robert Shanks, M.A., 1789-1884. Minister of the Church of Scotland, Buckie, 1837-1843, and the first Minister of Buckie Free Church, 1843-1884."
Keith Union Bridge, Regent Street, Keith:- "Erected 1770, widened 1816, enlarged and partly rebuilt 1912. - R Cameron, Provost" Reinforced recently.
Dufftown Clock Tower, Square, Dufftown. (Itself Completed In 1839):- With a picture of a train, and a picture of George Stephen, both superimposed on an engraved map of Canada: "George Stephen, Lord Mount Stephen, of Mount Stephen, British Columbia, and Dufftown, Banffshire. Banker and Financier, who in 1881 organised the Canadian Pacific Railway Co., and became it's first president, instrumental in completing the transcontinental railway 1n 1885. He later devoted his efforts to the expansion of the original enterprise, now in it's 2nd century of world wide operations. Born in Dufftown, Banffshire, 5th June 1829. Died at Brockethall, Hertfordshire, 29th November 1921." Erected by Canadian Pacific Limited, 1983.
Dufftown Clock Tower, Square, Dufftown:- "The clock on this tower was by public subscription, fitted with luminated dial, to commemorate the diamond jubilee of her most gracious Majesty, Queen Victoria, 1837 - 1897. The entire clock was renovated in 1968, following the generous benefaction of a native of this town, the late Alexander Ferrier."
Dufftown Clock Tower, Square, Dufftown:- "This tablet was erected to mark the year 2,000 by Dufftown and District Games Limited, on behalf of the people of Dufftown."
Dufftown Clock Tower, Square, Dufftown:- "In Memory of his grace, Alexander William George, Duke of Fife, K.G., K.T. Born 10th November 1849. Died 29th January 1912. A munificent benefactor to the Burgh of Dufftown. The town council on behalf of a grateful community have placed this tablet."
First Up 04.10.02 ©2002 gdicm